Thursday 2 June 2016

music and masking......

Hello crafty friends. Today's card was inspired by the sketch on LIM blog. The background was inspired by Sheena Douglas.


So I started by stamping the piano in black archival ink and masked it off by painting it with drawing gum. Then I decided what colours I wanted to use on background.


I used aquatints for this. I picked some blue, green and yellow with a brush and splodged it onto my glass mat. I spritzed it with water and put the card down to transfer it to it.
Then I made sue it was dry before I continued with the stamping. The random notes are stamped with matching distress inks. The rest is all stamped in black archival.


The piano, notes and the strip coming out of piano where freebies with a magazine.
The sentiment with was clear embossed and is from Claritystamp.
The flourish around the edges is from Visible Image.

I coloured the piano with aquatints adding in a drop of silver to the black for some shimmer.
Finally I added some dots with a quickie glue pen and when dry I rubbed some gilding flakes over it.
And that is all. This card should be winging it's way to my son's piano teacher, Theresa xx.


I would like to enter this card in the following challenges:

Less is More - Sketch
 
Word Art Wednesday - anything goes


23 comments:

  1. Such a pretty card hun.I love it x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the way you have coloured the piano Theresa with lovely shading, and these musical themed stamps were a great freebie find, also the background is so bright and pretty. I don't have any music themed stamps in my stash and would love some but perhaps these are not recent freebies. I have tried using the masking gum but have never found it that easy to use. The Winsor & Newton one I have is very thick and clogs the brush in about two seconds and when rubbing it off seems to bring the surface of the paper or card off with it but perhaps I just need more practice. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi Pat. i have the Pebeo one that is quite light and easy to paint. and it rubs off very easily. my 8 yr old was using it yesterday. and it doesn't clog your brush as water soluble when wet.
      The magazine was last month's creative stamping. i'll check the newsagent's next time i'm there maybe he has it and i'll get it for you if you like xx

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much for your kind offer Theresa but now I know which magazine they came with I have looked on line and can get a copy with free p&p which is great, and the Pebeo masking fluid, if I remember rightly, is the one Sheena Douglass uses and it does look easy to apply. x

      Delete
  3. What a great creative take on the sketch! Thank you for sharing at Less is More!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very creative and a wonderful artistic feel to this. You've obviously put a lot of time and thought into this and it really shows with a beautiful end result. Great LIM card!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A classy and fun image here and a wonderful watercolour background. Eyecatching and fun. Plus a brilliant take on the sketch and thanks for playing along at Less is More this week. Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great card Theresa, your background is fab...I love the way that all your different stamps have come together to make such a brilliant design. Have a lovely weekend...hugs...xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Jo. have a fab weekend yourself xx

      Delete
  7. Love the way you've used our sketch for this lovely artsy make. Lovely white space in the border so fits the CAS rules perfectly.
    Thanks for sharing with us.
    Anita x
    Less is More

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Anita. i did wonder if i was pushing it a bit xx

      Delete
  8. Gorgeous music card. Beautiful colours on the background. Thanks for playing along Simon Says Stamp Mask It challenge. Gayatri xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm just catching up on commenting, as I was away on a choir tour in chilly Derbyshire last week.
    This is a great backdrop Theresa, and I love the grand piano!
    Thanks so much
    Chrissie
    "Less is More"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Chrissie. hope your choir tour went well xx

      Delete